Today is September 17th – already! I left home two months ago today. I can’t believe how fast time has flown.
When one month had past, I was in the middle of traveling. Lugging around my bags to a new city every few nights was so much fun. I was having an amazing time! I also remember that after only one month, I was missing a lot of things (and people!) at home. I still miss those same things (what I would give for one night sleeping in my own bed!) and people but somehow the missing isn’t as bad now. I am sure I will feel really homesick again in the future but for now, it feels more like I am settling in.
Now, as I sit on the train to Dublin, about to start Chapter 2 of my adventures, I am thinking about how I have changed these past two months.
– Learned to depend on myself and only myself.
– Survived having some of my belongings stolen.
– Learned to use hand signals and really slow English when I am not in a country where I speak the language.
– Gained confidence in myself, in my ability to make friends and fit in.
– Learned that you don’t need to wear makeup to make friends!
– Become less materialistic than I ever thought possible (I have no doubt that this will change when I go back home, but for now, it is nice).
– Learned to be cheap. I mean, really, really cheap. And, also learned that it is okay to scrimp!
– Re-assured myself that I own the ability to make my own life decisions and create my own path 🙂 Making mistakes is good, it’s how I learn!
This next month will bring about so many more changes: finding a *fun* job, a place to live, etc. After two months of travel I am ready to settle down, to not pack my bag every other night, to find a local grocery store and cook my own food, to get my hair cut, to make friends. I am ready to actually integrate into another culture and see what life is like in another part of the world.
So…here I go. Bring on the next chapter!